Thursday, October 4, 2012

I love, loved so hard.

My heart has never been this heavy…this broken. I lost my most favorite thing in the world, my chocolate lab. Riley was my first personal experience with unconditional love, 100% responsibility, and true reflection of self. From the moment I picked her out when she was only 6 weeks old until yesterday, she has been by my side. We have moved together, traveled together, swam, jumped off cliffs, tailgated, walked, shared every kind of food there is, jumped on a trampoline, cried, healed, fallen in love, gotten married, and shared the love of my first “human” child. The last nine years of my life have been so special…much of that due to the joy Riley brought. Unless you share the love of animals as I do, its hard to understand the emotions and heartbreak that comes with losing a pet. Riley was my pet but more so the love of my life…the only thing that was ONLY mine, all mine. I will cry for years but I will cherish every memory I have of her. When I was pregnant with my son Crew, I prayed almost every day that Riley would live long enough for him to know her. Know the love I shared with her. At nine months old, Crew will not remember her, but I will show him to many photos of them together as he grows up. I will love Riley until the day I die.
A few weeks ago, Riley began having trouble breathing as I always do, I panicked, and rushed her to the emergency vet. An x-ray and blood worked showed her had cancer, very progressed, and was given 24 hrs to live. Devastated, I decided to bring her home with me and spend the next few hours holding her in my arms and in the comfort of her home. The next week and a half she had good days and bad days….but never stopped eating the “good” food…i.e. double cheeseburgers, pepperoni, cheese, etc….wagging her tail or following me wherever I went. The night before last her breathing worsened. We knew it was time. Riley passed on the way to the vet….just closed her eyes and feel asleep. God’s blessing that she went peaceful.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Cal this post makes me cry! Riley was such a special part of the family. I know how much she meant to you and I am SO sorry you have to go through this. Just hang on to the good and funny (which there a million) memories. She was lucky to have you for her human momma :) I don't think anyone could have loved her more. Love you!

    Sondra
    http://www.glitterandgolfballs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Callie! I am seriously balling at work...my co worker just came to check on me. I am soo sorry! I had know idea you were going through all of this. Just remember she is at Rainbow Bridge having a ball!! I love you and will be praying for you and the boys!

    Carrie Bostic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Callie, so sorry to hear you lost Bug. I speak for several of the guys when i say, "Riley will not be forgotten.". Thinking about you Tacal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Callie..I just so happen to know your love for Riley, as you showed me in our short times together. She was such a big ole' sweetheart. I know what it's like to love an animal so hard and sweet. There is no love like the love for an animal so dear to you..they are your buddy! You share moments that aren't the same as a relationship with a human...especially when they are all yours!! My <3 goes out to you babygirl. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried like a baby reading this, still am. I understand your love for Riley more than anyone I know could. I am so glad she got to meet and love Crew. I am so so so sorry for your loss. I have been in your position and it is the hardest one I have ever been in. The memories will be forever and will never go away. Your love for her will never go away and she will forever be with you in your heart and watching over you, Jarret, Crew, Grant, Mom and Dad from above. Riley was such a sweet girl, and in only the past year that I got to know her and spend some time with her, she touched my heart greatly. She was an amazing dog and I loved sharing our "furrbaby" stories together. I am and always will be here for you if you need to talk or just want someone to listen. I love you Callie, Jarret and Crew! Make sure you take time to heal and know that she is pain free now and hanging out with Ginger and all of our other previous "furrbabies" we have spent our lives growing up with. She is in the best place, heaven, running free. We will forever feel like a piece of us is missing, it will hurt forever but because of the love you gave her and how wonderful you cared for her, she was...IS COMPLETE. You made every day she spent on earth worth it because the love we give them is priceless, as is the love they give us. You are both better because of each other. Love you and keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete